[SATLUG] Personal RAID 6 array/ LED Monitor

dondavis at reglue.org dondavis at reglue.org
Mon Jul 5 17:12:07 CDT 2010

Wow! Great info. It looks like you've done what I'd like to do. (I was
thinking of a Mythbuntu box as well.)

> I'm using a 3Ware card - it works wonderfully, much more reliable than
> software RAID.  I had one problem with it; on soft reboots sometimes
> it doesn't reset properly.  But lately that hasn't been a problem,
> and the fix was always a simple power-off and back on.

How many ports does it have? how many drives did you attach?

> I use RAID 10.

RAID 10 seems to be a lot more common and consequently available at a
better price.

> Of course, you don't need to use mirroring on backup filesystems.
>
> I personally use RAID 10 for important data, and I do rsync backups
> to a RAID 0 partition.  So in a way, I have two layers of redundancy.

Using a different card? External storage?

> Oh, and if you're interested in backing up your large capacity file
> server, may I recommend hdb?
>
> http://www.subspacefield.org/security/hdb/

I took a look. I definitely want to take a closer look later.

> Get a mobo that supports ECC RAM.

Thank you for the suggestions.