[SATLUG] mp3 sites

Travis H. solinym at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 04:36:57 CST 2006

On 1/28/06, Jim Johannsen <jjsa at gvtc.com> wrote:
> I need help with mp3 devices.  My daughter has a mp3 player and is
> wanting to download songs/music off the net.  Of course the easy sites
> yahoo/walmart etc are windows only.  Yes they check to see if your
> running IE and have WMP.  Drives me up the wall.

Hmm... how does it check you have WMP?

You can just modify the User-Agent field in your HTTP requests to show
whatever you want  This functionality is in squid and privoxy, and you
can do it with... oh, there's an HTTP request editor proxy, I forget
the name.  It lets you munge your HTTP requests.

Proof that a remote system is running some software is broken, meaning
unsolvable.  Can't be done properly, so employ your ingenuity, and
some patience, and you will prevail.

At least until TCPA is in every computer.

> information would be helpful.  Anyway to convert ipod files to mp3???

If you mean .AAC to mp3, then probably, but with a loss of quality.
FInd an .AAC to .WAV converter, then use mpg123 or something to go to
.MP3.

Of course ipods can play mp3s, but alas not ogg.
--
"The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance."
  -- Robert Coveyou -><- http://www.lightconsulting.com/~travis/