[SATLUG] Fedora 4 Panel

Andrew Pickens wg5o at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 17 16:36:51 CST 2006

Sean Carolan wrote:

Andy, I"m assuming that you are using the GNOME desktop environment.
Sometimes if your session crashes you can get a 'stuck' panel process
that sort of hangs around in the background.  When you say it goes
'blank' do you mean there are no icons at all except the main redhat
icon?  What happens when you right-click to add new items to the
panel?  Do you get any kind of a menu or response?

Yes, Gnome desktop.  The first time everything but the hide buttons went away.  Right click produced the menu, but it did nothing, i.e. I could go through the motions of replacing the icons, but they didn't appear.  The second time, I had only the hide buttons and the main redhat icon.

>> There is a sub-problem:  in the newly built panel, I couldn't make
>> minimize/maximunize work.  If I hit the minus, the item I minimized
>> would dive into the lower rt. of the screen and disappear w/o a trace.

This means you are missing the 'window switcher' sub-panel that shows
what windows you have open.  At least I think it's called 'window
switcher' or something along those lines.  Right click on the panel
and try looking through the different things you can add to it.  One
of them is that actual bar that holds the minimized windows.

------------------------------

Mike Wallace wrote:

>> This means you are missing the 'window switcher' sub-panel that shows
>> what windows you have open.  At least I think it's called 'window
>> switcher' or something along those lines.  Right click on the panel
>> and try looking through the different things you can add to it.  One
>> of them is that actual bar that holds the minimized windows.

It's called the 'Window Selector' actually.  You can find it by
right-clicking on a panel, choosing "Add to Panel..." and then finding
it in the list.

Maybe that is the problem.  I picked "Workspace Switcher."  I'll try "Window Selector."

The only time that my panels ever act weird is when I run out of
memory.  Does the panel behavior change or fix itself if you log out
and back in?

No.  Loging in and out, as well as restarting did nothing.  I'm going to be busy with other stuff the next couple of days, then I'll try building a new panel.  I have an old, slow box (333 Mh), I forget how much memory it has (it has been added to a couple of times), but there is a lot of swap, and I don't do anything to make it very busy.

Thanks,

Andy Pickens