[SATLUG] Re: Quicktime and mplayer

indigotwilight at softhome.net indigotwilight at softhome.net
Tue Mar 30 12:37:55 CST 2004

> Yes, just download the Quicktime codecs from www.mplayerhq.hu and extract
> them to /usr/lib/win32. While you're at it, get the the complete codec
> package as well.
>
> http://ftp3.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/win32codecs.tar.bz2
> http://ftp3.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/qt6dlls.tar.bz2
>
> Extract these to /usr/lib/win32. Now you should be able to play any
> Quicktime file.

Thanks.  However, it still does not want to work.  This is what I've done:

$ tar xjf win32codecs.tar.bz2
$ tar xjf qt6dlls.tar.bz2
$ su
# mkdir /usr/lib/win32
# cp win32codecs/* qt6dlls/* /usr/lib/win32
# exit
$ mplayer movie.mov

[mplayer output snipped...]

Playing movie.mov.
QuickTime/MOV file format detected.
 --------------
MOV track #0: 24 chunks, 24 samples
Image size: 704 x 576 (24 bpp)
Display size: 704 x 576
Fourcc: png   Codec: 'PNG'
 --------------
MOV: longest streams: A: #-1 (0 samples)  V: #0 (24 samples)
vo: X11 running at 1024x768 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local
display)
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x20676E70.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!

Exiting... (End of file)

I've tried using nearly everything you can use with the -vo option and get
the same results.  If I do 'mplayer -vc help | grep qt', I get the
following:

ffqtrle     ffmpeg    working   Quicktime Animation (RLE)  [qtrle]
qtrle       qtrle     working   Quicktime Animation (RLE)
qt3ivx      qtvideo   working   win32/quicktime 3IV1 (3ivx) decoder  [3ivx
Delta 3.5.qtx]
qtavui      qtvideo   working   win32/quicktime Avid Meridien Uncompressed
[AvidQTAVUICodec.qtx]
qth263      qtvideo   crashing  win32/quicktime H.263 decoder
[QuickTime.qts]
qtrlerpza   qtvideo   crashing  win32/quicktime RLE/RPZA decoder
[QuickTime.qts]
qtvp3       qtvideo   crashing  win32/quicktime VP3 decoder  [On2_VP3.qtx]
qtzygo      qtvideo   problems  win32/quicktime ZyGo decoder
[ZyGoVideo.qtx]
qtbhiv      qtvideo   untested  win32/quicktime BeHereiVideo decoder
[BeHereiVideo.qtx]
qtcvid      qtvideo   working   win32/quicktime Cinepak decoder
[QuickTime.qts]qtindeo     qtvideo   crashing  win32/quicktime Indeo decoder
[QuickTime.qts]
qtmjpeg     qtvideo   crashing  win32/quicktime MJPEG decoder
[QuickTime.qts]
qtmpeg4     qtvideo   crashing  win32/quicktime MPEG-4 decoder
[QuickTime.qts]
qtsvq3      qtvideo   working   win32/quicktime SVQ3 decoder
[QuickTimeEssentials.qtx]
qtsvq1      qtvideo   problems  win32/quicktime SVQ1 decoder
[QuickTime.qts]

So, got any clues why it won't work?  TIA,

 -Mike