[SATLUG] DynDNS and Linksys routers

Geoff/W5OMR w5omr at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Wed Mar 24 12:32:39 CST 2004

> Hi, thanks for the answers yesterday about the DNS for Dynamic IP. I
> created an account with DynDNS last night and downloaded a client
> program to run on my machine for auto-updating the ip when it changes.
> Everything seems to be installed correctly, but when I try to acces the
> domain name (from a web browser) I get a popup asking for a username and
> password for Linksys (I assume it means my Linksys router). I did notice
> on dyndns.org that there have been some problems with Linksys routers.
> Can anybody give me a clue on how to resolve this?

You're probably running into a DNS issue, if you're attempting to access the
server locally on the same network.

I'm ass/u/me'ing that the machine has a pair of nic's in it - one feeding the
router, and the other feeding the local network.  If that's the case, then you
can enter the local ip address of the box with the apache stuff on it
(ie: http://192.168.0.1/) and see the default page in apache.

Others, outside your local network, should be able to type in your domain name
(http://domain.name.dyndns.org) and get the same result.

Hope that helps.

-Geoff