[SATLUG] RE: Mandrake 10.0 and 2.6 Kernel

Thomas King kingttx at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 16 15:29:13 CST 2004

>Can't help you with the sound since that is still plaguing me too. As for
>the mouse, yeah, I get that too. Sometimes 2.6 won't even find my touchpad
>until I reboot.
>

>Thomas King said:
> > Any ideas about why 2.6 would handle audio worse than 2.4?
> >
> > First, some background -
> >
> > Downloaded the Mandrake 10.0 Community, quite nice IMHO.
> > Running on a Compaq Armada M700 notebook
> > Using the Alsa sound daemon/system/whateveryacallit with its Maestro
>card
> > driver.
> >
> > Using either Totem, XMMS, or noatun, there is a noticeable skip every
> > second
> > using the 2.6 kernel. I also notice the mouse is fairly erratic, the
> > movement halting in the same frequency. Running 'top' shows no process
> > grabbing the processor or memory to any high degree, although it may not
> > refresh enough to give the problem child.
> >
> > If anyone has at least a start where to look to tweak, please lemme
>know.
> >
> > Tom King

Good to know I'm not alone. That will prompt me to head to Mandrake's site
to see what they have posted when I have time after work. I was pretty
excited to try out 2.6, but my baloon's deflated right now. Guess either
they need more time or I have something not set correctly. Hey, that's what
I get for trying a .0 release, right? :)

Tom